Love this easy Greek preparation for shrimp. It’s delicious, savory and fast. The tomatoes make a quick red sauce that has a slight anise flavor with the addition of ouzo and some dill, pairing beautifully with the shrimp. Serve this meal with a green salad and grilled crusty bread for a wonderful dish any day of the week.
- 1 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons each of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 pints san marzano tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup ouzo
- Kosher Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Crushed red pepper
- 1 handful pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 ounces Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- Crusty grilled bread, for serving
Preheat oven to broil. Heat a large skillet, heat the oil and butter until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with a bit of salt, pepper (not too much as feta and olives have a lot of salt) and crushed red pepper and cook until tomatoes soften and release their juices. Add ouzo and simmer an additional 5 minutes or so until ouzo evaporates. Add the shrimp and olives and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in half of dill. Transfer the mixture into 2 individual oven-proof baking dishes, or into one oven proof baking dish (you can also use your skillet if it’s oven proof). Crumble feta on top. Place in broiler for 1-2 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with remaining dill and serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!