This is a great side dish for fish or poultry. It’s got lots of flavor and I love the combination of pineapple with the smoky sausages. I use the hillshire farms beef sausages, but pick your favorite. It’s a great way to use leftover rice as well and if you are trying to encourage your kids to eat a few more veggies, this rice is a winner.
Yield : serves 6 as side dish
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup matchstick carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 cups thawed frozen peas
- 1 package lil smokies, thinly sliced
- 5 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, fine dice
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 cups steamed rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 -2 cups diced fresh pineapple, 1/4 inch dice
In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin, oyster sauce, vinegar. Heat a large heavy bottom skillet and add vegetable oil and sliced sausages. Sauté on medium high heat until golden brown and just crispy on edges. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium low and add sesame oil, minced scallions (reserving a handful for garnish), ginger, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeño and carrots and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute stirring frequently. Add steamed rice, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon and stir fry until heated through and lightly browned in spots. Add reserved soy mixture along with sausage and peas to the skillet and stir fry for an additional couple of minutes until all ingredients are well incorporated. Just before serving, toss in remaining scallions, cilantro and pineapple. Serve alongside fish or poultry and enjoy!
Yum! Looks very tasty!