Love this easy recipe that uses ground chicken instead of beef for a healthier, lighter take on the traditional bolognese. The chicken is a great complement to the roasted vegetables and crushed red pepper adds a nice kick. I used plenty of fresh herbs at the end for extra bright flavor.
- 4 ounces linguine
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 small green pepper, small dice
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 -15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, 1/2 inch dice
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite size florets
- Handful fresh parsley, rough chop
- Handful fresh basil, roughly torn
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Parmesan for serving
- Pitted green olives,optional garnish
Preheat oven to 425. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Toss the cauliflower and zucchini in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for about 25 minutes, tossing occasionally until tender and cauliflower has bits of brown caramelization on edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
While vegetables roast, prepare your sauce. In a large skillet, on medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and sauté onion, garlic, green pepper and tomato paste and season with salt and pepper until tender and fragrant stirring frequently ( about 5 minutes). Turn up heat, add ground chicken and brown thoroughly. Add canned tomatoes, 1/2 cup of water, crushed red pepper, smoked paprika and bring to a simmer. Turn to low, cover and add water as needed, mixing occasionally for30 minutes to an hour. You can’t overcook.
Boil pasta according to package directions. Once ready, drain pasta reserving a bit of pasta water. Place your linguine back in pot and add Bolognese sauce to cooked pasta to absorb sauce. Toss in roasted vegetables and herbs. Adjust seasonings to taste. Divide pasta in bowls, garnish with more fresh herbs, green olives and parmesan if desired. Enjoy!