A Reuben has always been my absolute favorite sandwich. For this version, I simply substituted the meat with fish and made a delicious sauce that made the sandwich complete. I love the grouper because it is flaky, but a good thickness for the sandwich and holds up well.
yield 2 sandwiches
- 8 ounces grouper (2 fillets), divided in 2 4 ounce filets of even size
- Kosher salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (canola or favorite sauté oil)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 green scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cup finely diced red onion red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish (I love sickles)
- 1 tablespoon horseradish root, freshly grated (or sub prepared)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Dash of kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes or Calabrian chili (optional)
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 2 slices baby Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoons butter
- Thinly sliced red cabbage
for fish and sauce:
Preheat oven to 400. Pat fish dry with paper towel. Season both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Heat a heavy oven proof skillet (cast iron is perfect for this) with oil to medium high and before it smokes, place grouper in skillet and sear for 3 minutes. Flip grouper when you see the edges browning and it comes off pan easily. Sear for another 3 minutes. Transfer directly to oven and allow the middle to cook for about 9 minutes (this timing will depend on how thick your fish is..about 9 minutes/1 inch thickness is a good rule of thumb).
While fish is baking, combine all ingredients for your sauce in a bowl.
for bread and sandwich assembly:
Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place on a grill pan on medium heat to toast. Lay your cheese on 2 of the slices so it can melt from the heat. Place the cheese bread on plates top with the prepared fish, layer on heaping amount of your sauce, topped with sauerkraut, red cabbage and toasted bread. Enjoy immediately!