This is a delicious cake to prepare in the summer and wonderful if you have guests in the house. It also freezes well. Be sure to select peaches at prime ripeness for the best flavor. I prefer the peaches to be natural, so I don’t bother peeling them, but if you don’t like the skins, you can peel them. You’ll notice that the cake has a bit missing on the backside…it actually slipped off the stand ….it was rescued at least! Always keeping it real!
Yield: 1 9” round cake
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon tightly packed lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 cups diced peaches (1/2 inch dice), divided
- 1 small thinly sliced peach for garnish
- Sprig of mint
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup
- firmly packed Golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons tightly packed lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1½ tablespoons (22.5 grams) whole milk or water
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9-inch non-stick springform pan with baking spray.
First prepare the streusel stirring together flour, brown sugar, lemon zest, and salt in a medium bowl. Use your fingers to crumble cold butter until mixture is crumbly and holds together. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and melted butter; add eggs, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla and whisk well to combine until mixture is smooth.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, then alternate with buttermilk, ending with flour mixture, whisking just until combined. Fold in 1 cup of diced peaches. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing out with a spatula. Top with remaining peaches and sprinkle reserved streusel on top. Bake for about 60-75 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for at least 15 minutes. Gently use a knife to loosen cake from the pan before releasing from springform. Transfer to serving platter.
Whisk together all ingredients for glaze. Drizzle on top of cake allowing it to go down the sides. Use sliced fresh peaches for garnish and a sprig of mint. Slice, serve and enjoy!