Tex Mex is always popular in our house. I love to make traditional enchiladas, but this is a quick alternative if you don’t quite have the time. I love to use chicken thighs, but if you are in a hurry, grab a rotisserie chicken and use that for a super speedy prep. You can adjust the seasonings to taste, i love lots of cumin. If you are roasting your own chicken thighs, be sure to season well with lots of cumin as well. Add whatever extras you like to garnish, I love it all!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, small dice.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 -3 teaspoons taco seasoning
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) jar mild/medium favorite red salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 squeezed lime
- 4 -6 corn tortillas, torn in chip-size pieces
- 1 15 oz can drained black beans
- 1 1/2 cups thawed frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (from about 2 lbs roasted chicken thighs or rotisserie chicken)
- 11/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- pickled jalapeños, sliced avocado, chopped tomato, dollop of sour cream, fresh lime , chips and cilantro (optional garnish)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat oil in a 10″ oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add onion, poblano, garlic, cumin, coriander, taco seasoning and salt and pepper cook, stirring, until softened, and fragrant about 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium low, add black beans and corn along with salsa, lime juice and stock and heat for a few minutes. Next add salsa and sour cream. Stir in tortillas and chicken until covered and sprinkled shredded cheese on top of mixture. Transfer to oven and bake until cheese is melting (about 5 minutes). Top with any and all garnishes and serve with extra chips. Enjoy!