This is an easy pasta dish that has some sweetness from the sausage and peppers and a bit of tomato to add some sauce and acidity to the dish. Garnish with lots of fresh basil and parmesan for an easy weeknight meal.
- 1 lb favorite short pasta
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow), thinly sliced length wise
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (preferably homemade)
- 1 bunch basil, chopped plus leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated parm, plus more for serving
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente and drain. Set aside. In a large skillet, heat oil to medium and add Italian Sausage breaking apart and browning well. Once sausage is completely browned, add in onion, bell pepper, garlic and tomato paste and sauté for 10-15 minutes on low until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste. Add sauce and fresh tomatoes and oregano and lower heat and cook another 15 minutes covered (add a bit of water if needed). While sauce is simmering, boil pasta to al dente according to package directions. Toss with simmering sauce with cooked pasta, parmesan and fresh basil. Serve topped with parmesan and extra basil. Serve immediately. Enjoy!!