I was the fortunate recipient of some gorgeous homegrown lemons from my daughter’s in-laws parents and immediately needed to find a way to use them. This bread is easy to prepare and simply delicious with coffee or tea any time of day. I love the addition of the lavender, it has such an earthy, wonderful flavor the is so delicious with the citrus. The actual bread is not overly sweet and if you like it that way, you could scrap the icing. I sprinkle extra poppyseed, lavender and lemon zest for a beautiful presentation. The recipe makes 2 loaves and the extra one would make a perfect love gift. Happy baking!
makes 2 loaves (9 X 5 inch)
for the bread:
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I love Bob’s Red Mill Pastry flour)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling on top of bread
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
For the lemon glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice; more as necessary
- poppyseed, lavender, lemon zest for sprinkling on top of glaze (optional)
for the bread:
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray the pans generously with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, lavender, baking powder, and salt until well blended.
In a 6 cup (or larger) measuring cup, combine the milk, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk until well combined, then add melted butter and whisk again. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and using a spatula, gently mix the ingredients until well blended.
Divide batter equally into the two loaf pans. Bake in oven for about 45-50 minutes. The bread is ready when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and invert bread from baking pans and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Mix the sugar and lemons together and whisk well until there are no lumps. Once bread is cool, drizzle the glaze over the tops of bread letting it run down the sides. Sprinkle additional poppy seeds, lavender and lemon zest on top. Allow glaze to set for about 15 minutes, slice and enjoy!
Thank you so much!!!