I love soup, even in the summer and this soup is so perfect for this time of year, as it is light, easy to prepare and served chilled or at room temperature. You can easily add or subtract flavor to the soup. Switch turmeric for curry, use some smoked paprika or even add some thyme or oregano if you want a Mediterranean flair. I just love ginger and turmeric with this soup and the turmeric adds beautiful color as well. This soup is best prepared with a good blender as it helps create the smoothest consistency.
Serves 2 -4
- 2 cups ripest cherry, golden tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut in chunks
- 1/2 medium shallot
- 2 small garlic cloves
- juice of 1/2 lime or 2 oz champagne vinegar for less sweetness
- 1 inch piece ginger root, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder turmeric
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, (or honey if you are not vegan)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- chili oil, drizzled for garnish (optional for heat)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- thinly sliced green chili (optional for garnish)
- 1 piece Naan, sliced thinly in 1 inch strips (optional garnish), plus oil for tossing
Preheat oven to 350. Toss Naan strips in a bit of olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for about 10-12 minutes, tossing if needed until just golden and crispy. Remove from oven and set aside. Place all the other ingredients (except oil) in the blender and process on low you have achieved a smooth consistency. A cuisinart will work as well, but be sure to blend thoroughly to achieve a smooth consistency. Slowly pour in oil with motor running to emulsify soup. Adjust seasonings to taste. Refrigerate soup until well chilled (at least an hour). Divide soup in bowls. Garnish with Naan Strips and sliced chilis and a drizzle of chili oil and enjoy!