This is the simplest and most delicious salad that also has the benefit of being healthy! It comes together very quickly and is the perfect companion to most any dish –fish, poultry or beef, but also can hold its own tossed with greens. I love the bright colors and fresh flavor. As Greeks prepare for the start of lent, this is a good one to have on your list if you are avoiding meat, or prefer a vegetarian diet. If you eliminate the feta, it is vegan as well. I always suggest buying feta in the brine. If you are not near a greek market, Trader Joe’s and Costco both carry excellent Greek brands.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 4 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 cups San Marzano or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 bunch basil, chiffonade
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 4 ounces diced feta, or large crumbles
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red vinegar
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
Combine all vegetables in a bowl. Toss with seasoning and drizzle oil and vinegar on top and combine gently until coated. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve. Enjoy!