I was searching for a companion for a cup of my favorite ginger tea and these chewy, pillowy soft cookies are just right. I love the beautiful ginger flavor with hints of lemon in these bakery style cookies. They are quick and easy to make and freeze beautifully.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely ground in food processor
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest, plus extra teaspoon for serving (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
Preheat oven to 325F. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ginger and salt. In a mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar, lemon zest and crystallized ginger until light and fluffy for several minutes. Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined. With mixer on low, add flour combination and mix on low to incorporate. Scoop a tablespoon full of dough and roll into a ball. Place sugar in a wide rimmed bowl. Roll each ball of cookie dough into sugar to coat well. Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, about 1 1/2-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly depress each cookie. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden around edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack tocool completely. Sprinkle with remaining lemon zest if desired. Enjoy!
*cook’s note: cookies freeze well in ziplock bag for several weeks